lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Commit / Code Review Policy
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2019 15:49:38 GMT
The SIP template should have a question that each proposal MUST answer:

“Describe your consideration of what goes in solr-core and what goes in packages or contrib.”

Jan Høydahl

> 5. des. 2019 kl. 14:22 skrev Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com>:
>

> Fine, here's my SIP process.
>
> You can't add one feature unless you remove two others.
>
> Very simple and works.
>
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 4:11 AM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>> Let’s keep this thread about code review guidelines, not about feature removal,
please. And be concrete with proposals for re-wording Davids proposal instead of sidetracking.
>> As David said, we need to do both. I think the SIP process for new features and APIs
may be a far better way than some hard «feature freeze».

>> Jan

people just piling in features, but not taking the time to do any janitorial work or remove
old features that shouldn't be there anymore (I AM LOOKING AT YOU HDFS)

>> > 100 %. If there is one problem with Solr today, it is feature bloat.
>> > We need to trim down Solr by atleast 50%
>> >
>> > What we need to do urgently is to create a white list of essential
>> > features and eliminate others. We are just getting crushed by the
>> > amount of code we have in Solr. We don't have so many people who can
>> > actively maintain such a large codebase

while I was offline, so some of the focus has shifted, but I'll try to address a few topics
that were brought up earlier anyway. In an effort to be brief, I'll try to summarize sentiments
rather than addressing specific quotes - if I mischaracterize something please let me know!

per commit or anything nearly so burdensome. A brief survey of other Apache projects shows
that most on RTC only need a single review, and also can include exceptions for trivial changes
like we are discussing here. If we're trying to find a compromise position, I personally would
prefer to be more on the RTC side because I think it's a more responsible place to be for
a project that backs billions of dollars of revenue across hundreds of companies annually.

it may be the only option sustainable for them. https://spark.apache.org/contributing.html
and has a no review expiration. https://s.apache.org/mi0r8 - there's a lot of other good discussion
there too.
but does not require explicit reviews. - https://zookeeper.apache.org/bylaws.html

of review, then we're less likely to get stagnant patches, and we're also more likely to engage
with non-committer contributions. If we don't have that habit of reviews, then patches do
get stale, and trust/self-enforcement becomes the only sustainable way forward.

want JIRA issues or CHANGES entries for trivial or even minor patches. This has a huge impact
on potential contributors and their accessibility to the project. If contributors aren't credited
for all of their work, then it makes it harder for them to reach invitation as a committer.
As a personal example, a lot of my changes were around logging and error handling, which are
minor on your list but fairly important for a supporter in aggregate. If the community signalled
that the work was less valuable, less visible, and less likely to be accepted (each of which
can follow from the previous I think) then I don't know that I would have been motivated to
try and contribute those issues.

users (and us) of what was changed for what issue that we might actually care about, and *also*
give kudos to contributors.  There is a lot of noise in there, as it is.  If hypothetically
a contributor files a JIRA issue with minor/trivial priority, then maybe a git author tag
is enough?  Or if not then maybe adding a special section in the CHANGES.txt for a special
thanks to contributors of unspecified issues?

be addressed explicitly on the security/private list, and it absolutely needs review if only
so that other developers can learn and avoid those issues again. That's where the power of
community is really important, and I don't expect issues like that to sit around with a patch
waiting for very long anyway.

is a reasonable compromise, especially because a hard shift from CTR to RTC would need a corresponding
culture shift that may not happen immediately.

 hmm)?  Today our guidelines don't quite have this rule, which thus allows a committer to
commit a major change immediately without a review (ouch!).  Surely we don't *actually* want
to allow that.