lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Lucene Solr Gradle Build Game plan
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2019 07:36:53 GMT
Thanks for clarifying, Mark. We all have real jobs (and life) so
delays are I think understandable. I tend to agree with David that
even something that is slow at start has benefits but I respect your
will to keep the partial work unpublished.

I've made some changes here and there (the original gradle branch,
Solr ref guide) and some seem valuable even now -- for example I can
compile the ref guide without installing any extra tools, which is
great.

D.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:30 AM Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Dawid, I'm sorry about the absence. I had a two week trip to SF and that tends
to steal my mind, thank god something does.

> Yes, I have local changes that you should likely wait for.
>
> There is a substantial issue with how I was mapping our directory names to project names.
That issue led to allowing some funny things and so addressing it makes the build a bit to
a lot less silly. Sorry Tomoko Uchida :(

> Anyway, I had to pause Gradle when I remembered that Solr tests are only slow for silly
or broken reasons.

> So I worked on that and then I remember that about a year and a half ago I had realized
SolrCloud was seriously rotting in come very core and key areas. At the time I spent a lot
of effort on my Starburst branch addressing some fundamental problems and patterns. I then
had a 6 week sabbatical and 3 week movie making trip. Though my own lack of care, I lost all
that work and mostly forgot about the whole thing.

> Coming back to that, after wasting a lot of effort trying to find my previous work, I
set off to duplicate that work and hopefully take it a bit further. I really can't work on
anything unless until that is on a clear path to being addressed unless someone attached to
my livelihood forces me.

> Meanwhile, I'll be gone half of November on across the world vacation and December is
always a mess.

> On the plus side, the gradle build has gotten some great testing, but I'm little fuzzy
on when I'm ready. I will certainly be separating out these efforts. So I'll be extracting
the gradle changes to the gradle branch and keeping my new state as a separate branch.