+1 to Jan's proposal about not adding master when changes are also pushed to the previous major, I like the additional consistency with our CHANGES.txt.

I'm less sure about requiring that the fix version is not set before resolving the issue, I have used this in combination with the blocker label to mean that an issue needs to be addressed before releasing, sometimes it will be the next minor, sometimes the next major. For the record, the ReleaseTodo[1] recommends to check for blockers by filtering by priority and fixVersion.

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo