"I'm less sure about requiring that the fix version is not set before resolving the issue"   Yeah, this aspect I don't think is particularly important either way.  We can establish a preference to leave blank until release time, but say Blocker issues are a good exception.

It'd be nice to have internal dev docs for us to write these down in so we can refer to them, particularly to share with new committers as well.  Were you planning to do this Jan?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer