lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: ReleaseWizard tool
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2019 08:46:24 GMT
I have now pushed the ReleaseWizard tool in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8852
Appreciate all kind of feedback!

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 1. jun. 2019 kl. 20:26 skrev Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com>:
>
> As I said, I’ll start a thread about this, please reply to that instead of continuing
discussion in this thread which is about releaseWizard :)

> Jan Høydahl
>
> 1. jun. 2019 kl. 15:53 skrev Michael Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com <mailto:msokolov@gmail.com>>:
>
>> I'm not sure what the proper way to use fix version is. Suppose you back port a fix
to multiple branches? Should fixVersion list all of them? Just pick one?

>> On Wed, May 29, 2019, 6:00 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com <mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>>
wrote:
>> My releaseWizard tool is getting more complete as the 7.7.2 release progresses. Will
share the code just after I complete all steps.

>> I tested relasedocmaker and it digs up all the JIRA issues marked as RESOLVED for
the version and creates two files.
>> CHANGELOG.md simply lists all issues under headings IMPROVEMENTS, BUG FIXES etc
>> One problem I found with how the CHANGELOG works is that it adds all issues having
the version in fixVersion, even if the feature
>> was already released in an earlier version. That is because of the way we use JIRA
fixVersion, adding both e.g. "master (9.0)" and "8.2"
>> at the same time, even if we know that 8.2 is the version the feature will be released.
If we stop always adding "master" to fixVersion
>> but strive to keep it a list of version the feature/bugfix is FIRST introduced, then
this tool will do the correct job.

>> RELEASENOTES.md lists "...new developer and user-facing incompatibilities, important
issues, features, and major improvements.".
>> And if we enable the JIRA field "Release Notes" (we don't have it now), the content
of that field will be used in the release notes instead of the JIRA description.
>> You can select any issue to surface in RELEASENOTES by adding a certain label, by
default "backward-incompatible".

>> I think it could be a welcome addition to our flow. We cant' expect the output from
the tool to be used as-is, sometimes a major feature spans multiple
>> JIRAs etc, but it could be a good starting point, and would shift the burden of documenting
important and breaking changes from release-time to commit-time,
>> if we as committers manage to adjust our routines. We could even have a weekly job
that runs the releasedocmaker and sends the output to dev@ list for active branches, to keep
focus.

>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com <http://www.cominvent.com/>
>>
>>> 17. mai 2019 kl. 13:45 skrev Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com <mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>>:
>>>
>>> Yes, I thought we could use https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.10.0/releasedocmaker/
<https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.10.0/releasedocmaker/> to generate the draft,
and this could be wired into the releaseWizard tool.

<mailto:ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>>:

> [...]
generate release highlights. We should have a JIRA field "release highlight" which, when populated,
will have the text that will be featured in the announce mail and on the website in news.
That way, generating those mails can be semi/fully automated.

Jira can be used as highlight. This will force the committer to keep meaningful titles.

     │
       │
      │
       │