lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <gus.h...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of JIRA fixVersion
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2019 21:29:45 GMT
FWIW I tend to agree with Erick here on both his points, but the second one
more strongly than the first. The first I can live with either way really
so long as it's clearly documented somewhere (besides this thread).

If we don't update the changes in master for bug fixes when we're
committing, who's going to go collect and add them later? I'm not sure I'm
that big a fan of generating changes... I haven't looked at Yetus
specifically but I suspect that this will just leave us with the title from
the Jira, and often some additional detail for changes is worthwhile beyond
what the title says. So if we create a field in Jira that is the Changes
text, and make it required in the resolution screen fine to generate from
that, but I think there's real value in the current system because you wind
up writing a final short 1-4 line summary focused on "what the user needs
to know"

Also line 3, the feature only in 8x (but not master) is a very odd case in
that table, I'm not sure when that would happen? could happen for a bug
that is fixed by other changes in master, but for a feature?

Also if we aren't marking branches explicitly maybe the 9.0 (master) tag
should say 9.0 (unreleased)? Sure most developers know master is typically
unreleased, but why add that mental leap. It's possible that someone less
technical, or who is a student will stumble in from a link on SO...

-Gus