lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Github PRs without attached JIRA issue
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:08:31 GMT
Once we get C in place (Github PR template), this will hopefully fix itself.
So I propose to try PR template as a first measure and then revisit if that is not enough.

Still left to do is to triage the existing open PRs and link them. Who wants to help?

  https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pulls?utf8=✓&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+NOT+LUCENE+in%3Atitle+AND+NOT+SOLR+in%3Atitle+

We should probably also look for PRs with a LUCENE/SOLR jira attached, where the fix is merged
without auto-closing PR, and then close those.

TIP: When you merge code outside of github, add the text "fixes #123" to the commit message
to automatically close PR#123.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 10. jun. 2019 kl. 15:05 skrev Gus Heck <gus.heck@gmail.com>:
>
> Or the committer can create it if the issue is truly trivial... Also, one of the things
that folks who contribute may gain is learning about development process. That aspect was
extremely helpful to me when I made my first contributions to Ant many years ago. Not everyone
who contributes is an expert.

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 3:33 AM Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in <mailto:varun@vthacker.in>>
wrote:
> I think D is important for making the barrier low for new contributors to get started.
>
> It won't be great as we'll have two places to look a CHANGES entry against but I'll be
okay with that.

> Today a new contributor creates a PR and a committer can even merge the PR from the github
interface. But in between those 2 steps we have to tell the contributor to go create a placeholder
Jira.

> Imagine if this new contributor just wants to fix one typo from the ref guide. The overhead
involved will shun quite a lot of folks?

> On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com <mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>>
wrote:
> Jira has become very heavy-weight over the years and I'm not sure we need all those features.
> I think Github issues are a bit too lightweight perhaps, so I'm not actively promoting
option E, just lifting it up as a real alternative.

>> As an example how would you implement the security issue visibility with original
poster and PMC able to see it in github?