lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Use of JIRA fixVersion
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 12:39:57 GMT
Trying to reach a conclusion (or perhaps a vote) on this.

Here is a table that sums up my proposal. Basically it means in most cases stop adding master
as fixVersion.

Type	Committed to	fixVersion	CHANGES.txt section
Feature	master	master (9.0)	9.0
Feature	master, branch_8x	8.2	8.2
Feature	branch_8x	8.2	8.2
Bugfix	master	master (9.0)	none (unreleased bug)
Bugfix	master, branch_8x	8.2	8.2
Bugfix	master, branch_8x, branch_8_1	8.1.2, 8.2	8.1.2, 8.2
Bugfix	branch_8x	8.2	8.2
Bugfix	branch_8_1	8.1.2	8.1.2
Bugfix	branch_8x, branch_7_7	7.7.3, 8.2	7.7.3, 8.2

In addition to this, we should all wait until commit time with setting fixVersion.

To find branches for a JIRA, you just translate fixVersion to branch, e.g. 8.1.2, 8.2 ->
branch_8_1, branch_8x.
For features, if it is unclear whether master has the commit, check gitbot log or git log
For bugfixes, there are cases where the bug does not exist in master at all, and that can
be reflected in affectsVersion field.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 3. jun. 2019 kl. 19:56 skrev David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com>:
>
> Right.... JIRA fixVersion has its use, and that would satisfy this use-case?  It's what
Jan proposes to do this very thing as part of generating release notes in a semi-automated
way.