lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of JIRA fixVersion
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:21:53 GMT
I still prefer fixVersion to reflect every code line the change has been made to, but I won’t
foam at the mouth about it.

I think my minor quibble is with the “unreleased bug” bit in CHANGES.txt. I’d rather
see those fixes in CHANGES.txt too on the theory that it’s not clear it’s totally unreleased
or just recently found….

FWIW,
Erick

> On Jun 13, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>
> Trying to reach a conclusion (or perhaps a vote) on this.
>
> Here is a table that sums up my proposal. Basically it means in most cases stop adding
master as fixVersion.

> Type	Committed to	fixVersion	CHANGES.txt section
> Feature	master	master (9.0)	9.0
> Feature	master, branch_8x	8.2	8.2
> Feature	branch_8x	8.2	8.2
> Bugfix	master	master (9.0)	none (unreleased bug)
> Bugfix	master, branch_8x	8.2	8.2
> Bugfix	master, branch_8x, branch_8_1	8.1.2, 8.2	8.1.2, 8.2
> Bugfix	branch_8x	8.2	8.2
> Bugfix	branch_8_1	8.1.2	8.1.2
> Bugfix	branch_8x, branch_7_7	7.7.3, 8.2	7.7.3, 8.2
>
> In addition to this, we should all wait until commit time with setting fixVersion.
>
> To find branches for a JIRA, you just translate fixVersion to branch, e.g. 8.1.2, 8.2
-> branch_8_1, branch_8x.
> For features, if it is unclear whether master has the commit, check gitbot log or git
log
> For bugfixes, there are cases where the bug does not exist in master at all, and that
can be reflected in affectsVersion field.

> --
> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
>> 3. jun. 2019 kl. 19:56 skrev David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Right.... JIRA fixVersion has its use, and that would satisfy this use-case?  It's
what Jan proposes to do this very thing as part of generating release notes in a semi-automated
way.