lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Lucene/Solr Developer content
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 20:17:51 GMT
Hi devs,

Today we have mainly two sources of developer documentation (apart from Javadoc and refGuide):

* The websites. Very short instructions and linking to WIKI for in-depth
* The old Moin wikis at wiki.apache.org with more details

Soon the old Moin wiki is being discontinued and I plan to migrate that content to Confluence
this week, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8858 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13548

So the first step will be to just start using Confluence instead of Moin. Help appreciated
with the cleanup once the first migration is done in the two JIRAs above. A LOT of the content
in old WIKIs is outdated and a big cleanup once this is in Confluence is highly needed!

Someone has also suggested to move most developer resources found in the WIKI into the main
GIT code tree, so you have it right there with your git clone. What I want to discuss here
is more detailed how that would look like and what info to move over.

One idea is to create one or more Asciidoc guides in the source tree, e.g

* /dev-docs : Common info i.e. Git, Pull requests, building, doing releases etc. Publish in
TLP site
* /lucene/dev-guide : Lucene-specific developer content. Publish in Lucene web site
* /solr/dev-guide : Solr-specific developer content. Publish in Solr web site

These will be built with Jekyll by Jenkins, into nice HTML guides and published to the web
sites.

There may be other ways to do this as well, such as creating a new git repo for dev docs,
but I think people have good experience from Solr's ref-guide with keeping code and docs in
sync. What do you think?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com