lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Call for help: moving from ant build to gradle
Date Sun, 05 May 2019 16:36:37 GMT
I don’t know enough about the differences to even think consider complaining.

Is the proposal that we use Gradle for master and continue to use ant for 8x? As long as the
two build systems can exist side by side (i.e. we can build master by executing some Gradle
target and continue to build 8x with Ant like we always have) the minor inconvenience doesn’t
merit standing in the way of progress.

If that’s the case I don’t particularly care if we continue to use Ant with 8x forever.
Or maybe some ambitious person can work on bringing 8x to Gradle after it has some mileage
on master.

And I have great faith that you wouldn’t be putting in the work unless you thought it was
worth it ;)

Erick

> On May 4, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We already dump out to groovy to do anything interesting, so I doubt there is much we
can't replicate.

> - Mark
>
> On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 9:09 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Would beasting of tests be possible through gradle?
>
> On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I looked into this a little more.
> >
> > Seems if we just do it with master and going forward, we don’t need multi version
support - Uwe seems to have taken it out with the move to Java 11?

> > I can handle regenerate.
> >
> > The other quality checks shouldn’t be crazy.
> >
> > So I guess we can probably do this, but before I focus on BS details, please speak
up if you hate the idea of Gradle and you have the clout to stop it.

> > Mark
> >

> > On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 5:56 PM Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've got my own lucene-solr gradle branch as well.
> >>
> >> I stole the BuildPlugin and CheckWorkingCopy from Dat's branch, but also made
some changes.

> >> * Similar to above above, I don't move the src files so it can keep things up
to date without lots of pain.
> >> * I used a plugin that lets us define versions in a root props file like we
currently do and ensures we use the same versions in all modules even after auto conflict
resolution (unlike gradle by default)
> >> * It also locks versions so we can continue to pay attention to scary automatic
dependency resolution changes
> >> * implementation and api used instead of compile
> >> * Things build and the majority of tests pass (Lucene's TestVirtualMethod does
not for example)

> >> If someone like Uwe is serious about helping out with fun extras (regenerating
sources, extracting data from ICU, quality checks, documentation (XSLT)), I'd look at contributing.