I'm a little worried about the state of Autoscaling. It looks like it has the potential to create bad first experiences. Granted 8.0 isn't supposed to be stable, but I'm seeing things that were documented for 7.6 not working in 8x

TLDR:
  1. Default settings didn't distribute nodes evenly on brand new 50 node cluster
  2. Can't seem to write rules producing suggestions to distribute them evenly
  3. Suggestions are made that then fail despite quiet cluster, no changes.
Long version:

My Client and I did something that seems very vanilla but it didn't work out well, and the observed behavior contradicts what's published in https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/solr-upgrade-notes.html#solr-7-6 with respect to default core placement.

The cluster is a 50 node AWS cluster that was freshly set up by a client to test out 8.0.0 (8.0.0-SNAPSHOT 69cbe29e78c400db22aab2f918405ce627d2d65d - solr - 2019-01-11 15:41:35).

They created a collection (A) with 50 shards, one replica each (total of50 cores). They specified maxShardsPerNode=1, and nothing relating to autoscaling. They indexed a small amount of data in (33438861 docs is small for them) for initial testing. They then handed it over to me, and not yet noticing anything wrong with it I added a second collection (B) similarly configured but with schema changes for comparison. However, I noticed at that point that the nodes page was showing a very strange result for this seemingly vanilla set of steps. Most nodes got one core of each collection, but not all:

Node 1 got 2 cores from A
Node 2 got 0 cores
Node 8 got 3 cores from B
Node 21 got 2 cores from A and 1 from B

I've spent all morning fiddling with rules to try to get a configuration that provides suggestions via /api/cluster/autoscaling/suggestions to equalize things and I just can't do it. In particular I can't ever get any suggestion to move anything to node 2. It's as if autoscaling is missing/unable to see node 2. A couple of times I got suggestions with green buttons in the UI (mostly I'm using Postman however)... when I clicked the green button it erred out saying no-node can satisfy.... Nothing's changing, no data incoming so why is it suggesting things that don't work?

When I look at /autoscaling/diagnostics I get this seemingly impossible result:
            {
                "node": "solr-2.customer.redacted.com:8983_solr",
                "isLive": true,
                "cores": 2,
                "freedisk": 140.03918838500977,
                "totaldisk": 147.5209503173828,
                "replicas": {}
            },

2 cores but no replicas? I looked on disk and there's no data on disk representing a core.

-Gus