lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Cassandra Targett <casstarg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test failures are out of control......
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2018 23:13:15 GMT
This issue is hugely important.

At Lucidworks we have implemented a "Test Confidence" role that focuses on
improving the ability of all members of the community to trust that
reported failures from any of the Jenkins systems are actual failures and
not flakey tests. This role rotates among the committers on our Solr Team,
and a committer is assigned to the role for 2-week periods of time. Our
goal is to have at least one committer on our team focused full-time on
improving test confidence at all times. (Just a note on timing, we started
this last summer, but we only recently reconfirmed our commitment to having
someone assigned to it at all times.)

One of the guidelines we've agreed to is that the person in the role should
not look (only) at tests he has worked on. Instead, he should focus on
tests that fail less than 100% of the time and/or are hard to reproduce
*even if he didn't write the test or the code*.

Another aspect of the Test Confidence role is to try to develop tools that
can help the community overall in improving this situation. Two things have
grown out of this effort so far:

* Steve Rowe's work on a Jenkins job to reproduce test failures
(LUCENE-8106)
* Hoss has worked on aggregating all test failures from the 3 Jenkins
systems (ASF, Policeman, and Steve's), downloading the test results & logs,
and running some reports/stats on failures. He should be ready to share
this more publicly soon.

I think it's important to understand that flakey tests will *never* go
away. There will always be a new flakey test to review/fix. Our goal should
be to make it so most of the time, you can assume the test is broken and
only discover it's flakey as part of digging.

The idea of @BadApple marking (or some other notation) is an OK idea, but
the problem is so bad today I worry it does nothing to find a way to ensure
they get fixed. Lots of JIRAs get filed for problems with tests - I count
about 180 open issues today - and many just sit there forever.

The biggest thing I want to to avoid is making it even easier to
avoid/ignore them. We should try to make it easier to highlight them, and
we need a concerted effort to fix the tests once they've been identified as
flakey.