lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mano Kovacs <manokov...@cloudera.com>
Subject Diagrams of internals
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:41:41 GMT
 Hi,

As I was preparing a presentation about Solr internals, I tried to
demonstrate some of the internal processes with sequence diagrams. I was
using PlantUML for the purpose as it is opensource, pluggable to
everything, and the markup language is readable, therefore, easy to version
it.

I was wondering if the diagrams would be useful part of the documentation
for those who want to understand internals better. Since the diagrams are
actual text files, it would be possible to store them within the repository
and maintain them among the changes of the internals. It could be also used
for planning new changes, to describe and validate how Solr is going to
behave after a patch.

What do you think about adding these diagrams into the documentation
somewhere?

Here are some examples:

Recovery
Code: https://github.com/manokovacs/solr-internals/blob/master/recovery.puml