lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Cassandra Targett <casstarg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Ref Guide: Locking Confluence Friday
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 13:37:11 GMT
I've now made the change to the Ref Guide to lock it from editing by
committers.

I left access for confluence-administrators, which I believe is INFRA
and Uwe but possibly others too. If you find you do still have access,
please don't edit anything.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel like it'd be less confusing if we hold *release* of 6.6.0 until
> we have the ref guide content merged and migrated - even though the
> release of the Ref Guide will remain as a separate vote for the time
> being. And it will of course be easier to merge the branch with master
> & backport to branch_6x before the branch_6_6 is made (in the sense of
> saving another merge step).
>
> Since it sounds like Joel wants a couple more days anyway, why don't
> we see where we're at Monday - if the merge of the ref guide branch
> still doesn't have an ETA then maybe we don't hold any longer; if it's
> another day, maybe we can hold for that. Once we get rolling with that
> process we'll know where the endpoint is.
>
> By the way - in terms of doing the actual work of the manual cleanup
> that needs to happen after conversion, Hoss and I plan to start on
> Friday but other volunteers are welcome. I'll even throw in a free
> screenshare with me (I know!) if you want help to get rolling.
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I personally would like to push it back at day or two to finish one ticket
>>> and get the everything into CHANGES.txt.
>> Sure Joel, that works with me.
>>
>> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Joel Bernstein <joelsolr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the idea of having the new ref guide for 6.6. The Streaming
>>> Expressions wiki page has been completely overwhelmed with content at this
>>> point and I'd like to see how we can better organize these docs for the 6.6
>>> release.
>>>
>>> I have started a thread on cutting the 6.6 branch. I personally would like
>>> to push it back at day or two to finish one ticket and get the everything
>>> into CHANGES.txt.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Joel Bernstein
>>> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya
>>> <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Cassandra,
>>>>
>>>> > If we start this conversion soon, we'll have the new Ref Guide for
>>>> > Solr 6.6, which personally I'd like to do to get acclimated to the
>>>> > process before the major edits that we'll need to do for 7.0.
>>>>
>>>> > ...
>>>>
>>>> > Once we have the content migrated, we can merge the branch
>>>> > "jira/solr-10290" to master and backport it to 6x for releasing the
>>>> > Ref Guide for 6.6.
>>>>
>>>> > ...
>>>>
>>>> > ... I plan to lock Confluence to edits this week on Friday morning,
May
>>>> > 5.
>>>>
>>>> I was planning on cutting a release branch for 6.6 on Thursday, 4th May.
>>>> Does it make sense to hold it off until the 10290 work has been backported
>>>> (to, say, Monday 8th or Tuesday 9th)? If so, does it make sense to mark
>>>> SOLR-10290 as a blocker for 6.6?
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Ishan
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:28 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> +1, thanks for all your work on this (Hoss too!)
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Cassandra Targett
>>>>> <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> > Hi -
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I wanted to maximize eyeballs on this, so sending to the list instead
>>>>> > of as a comment in an issue.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I believe we are at the point where we can lock Confluence to further
>>>>> > edits and start the conversion process. If there are no objections,
I
>>>>> > plan to lock Confluence to edits this week on FRIDAY morning, MAY
5.
>>>>> > That gives folks a couple more days to work on stuff you may have
been
>>>>> > planning.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > As a reminder of where we are:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > - We have a build script to make a PDF, and the PDF half the size
is
>>>>> > is from Confluence
>>>>> > - We have a process to vote on and publish the PDF (basically, the
>>>>> > same process)
>>>>> > - We have agreement on where to host the HTML version
>>>>> > - We have documented steps for how to publish the HTML version
>>>>> > - We have a Jenkins job that's building the PDF and HTML version
daily
>>>>> > - We've agreed on how to deal with branches & backports
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Not all of the subtasks are complete in SOLR-10290, but 2 of those
>>>>> > relate to converting the content, and the others are either not
>>>>> > showstoppers IMO or depend on getting this part done. Anyone have
any
>>>>> > other issues they feel need to be resolved before we start flipping
>>>>> > this switch?
>>>>> >
>>>>> > If we start this conversion soon, we'll have the new Ref Guide for
>>>>> > Solr 6.6, which personally I'd like to do to get acclimated to the
>>>>> > process before the major edits that we'll need to do for 7.0.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Once we have the content migrated, we can merge the branch
>>>>> > "jira/solr-10290" to master and backport it to 6x for releasing
the
>>>>> > Ref Guide for 6.6.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Again, if there are no objections, I plan to lock Confluence to
edits
>>>>> > this week on Friday morning, May 5. I intend to put a banner across
>>>>> > the page to warn potential editors that it's locked. And assuming
all
>>>>> > goes well, we won't need to re-enable edits later.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Cassandra
>>>>> >
>>>>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message