lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Frank Steggink (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-10395) NPE during spell check with result collation
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 13:21:41 GMT


Frank Steggink commented on SOLR-10395:

I've replaced the llparser in my search handler by edismax, in order to rule out that my custom
code was somehow responsible for this. The NPE's are still showing up in my log files.

> NPE during spell check with result collation
> --------------------------------------------
>                 Key: SOLR-10395
>                 URL:
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>      Security Level: Public(Default Security Level. Issues are Public) 
>          Components: spellchecker
>    Affects Versions: 6.2.1
>            Reporter: Frank Steggink
> I'm getting a NullPointerException when using collation during spell check. This is the
message I'm getting: Exception trying to re-query to check if a spell check possibility would
return any hits.
> Stack trace:
> {code}
> 2017-03-13 13:05:54.618 WARN (qtp472654579-84) [c:locatieserver s:dkk r:core_node4 x:locatieserver_dkk_replica2]
o.a.s.s.SpellCheckCollator Exception trying to re-query to check if a spell check possibility
would return any hits.
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.apache.solr.spelling.SpellCheckCollator.collate(
> at org.apache.solr.handler.component.SpellCheckComponent.addCollationsToResponse(
> at org.apache.solr.handler.component.SpellCheckComponent.process(
> at org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(
> at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(
> at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(
> ...
> {code}
> My spell check config for this search handler:
> {code:xml}
>             <str name="spellcheck">on</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.dictionary">suggest</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.extendedResults">false</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.count">5</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.alternativeTermCount">2</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.maxResultsForSuggest">3</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.collate">true</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.collateExtendedResults">true</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.maxCollationTries">5</str>
>             <str name="spellcheck.maxCollations">3</str>
> {code}
> The field "suggest" is a field in the index, which is also (usually) queried with this
search handler. The field is filled with lots of data created by edge ngrams, since it's intended
usage is for an autocomplete field.
> This issue is very similar to SOLR-8807, but the NPE is occurring one line in the code
later (solr\core\src\java\org\apache\solr\spelling\ As a result the
patch attached to that issue probably won't work in my case.
> {code:java}
>         try {
>           queryComponent.prepare(checkResponse);
>           if (docCollectionLimit > 0) {
>             int f = checkResponse.getFieldFlags();
>             checkResponse.setFieldFlags(f |= SolrIndexSearcher.TERMINATE_EARLY);    
>           }
>           queryComponent.process(checkResponse);
>           hits = (Integer) checkResponse.rsp.getToLog().get("hits");
>         } catch (EarlyTerminatingCollectorException etce) {
> {code}
> Although I'm using Solr 6.2.1, the source file is still identical to Solr 6.5.0.
> The line causing my exception is when determining the hits. -I've noticed the exception
only occurs when no more than 2 alternatives are found, but when 3 alternatives (maxCollations)
are found, the NPE isn't occurring.-
> As a workaround I could live for now with turning collations off. (Update: I've suppressed
logging of these exceptions in
> Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message