lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David Smiley (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Comment Edited] (LUCENE-6819) Deprecate index-time boosts?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2017 19:31:44 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6819?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15876549#comment-15876549
] 

David Smiley edited comment on LUCENE-6819 at 2/21/17 7:31 PM:
---------------------------------------------------------------

I get your point. It's a shame that the particular use of the bits right now was decided to
have both 3 terms and 4 terms produce the same norm when, IMO, there should be more fidelity
for for them for the same reason you mentioned.  Maybe this specifically could be rectified
instead of removal of index time boosts? 

(edited/removed paragraph I reconsidered)

On the other hand, I appreciate that removing this feature would be the simplest route to
take and reduce overall complexity in Lucene.  And it's not like index time boosts is a must-have;
users can emulate it, albeit with some work.  Maybe that could be made easier... hmmm.

Any way; I'm not standing in your way. I'm curious what others think.


was (Author: dsmiley):
I get your point. It's a shame that the particular use of the bits right now was decided to
have both 3 terms and 4 terms produce the same norm when, IMO, there should be more fidelity
for for them for the same reason you mentioned.  Maybe this specifically could be rectified
instead of removal of index time boosts? 

Perhaps index time boosts support should be moved to the codec {{NormsFormat}} which could
have a method to declare wether it supports index time boosts or not? ? i.e. we don't support
it by default and if you want index time boosts then you must do something to enable it?

On the other hand, I appreciate that removing this feature would be the simplest route to
take and reduce overall complexity in Lucene.  And it's not like index time boosts is a must-have;
users can emulate it, albeit with some work.  Maybe that could be made easier... hmmm.

Any way; I'm not standing in your way. I'm curious what others think.

> Deprecate index-time boosts?
> ----------------------------
>
>                 Key: LUCENE-6819
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6819
>             Project: Lucene - Core
>          Issue Type: Task
>            Reporter: Adrien Grand
>            Priority: Minor
>
> Follow-up of this comment: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6818?focusedCommentId=14934801&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14934801
> Index-time boosts are a very expert feature whose behaviour is tight to the Similarity
impl. Additionally users have often be confused by the poor precision due to the fact that
we encode values on a single byte. But now we have doc values that allow you to encode any
values the way you want with as much precision as you need so maybe we should deprecate index-time
boosts and recommend to encode index-time scoring factors into doc values fields instead.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.15#6346)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message