lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Białecki <andrzej.biale...@lucidworks.com>
Subject Re: MSDN subscription renewal
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:56:54 GMT

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 09:04, Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To follow up, here's what I know.
>
> - Ross replied to my e-mail (thanks for making this happen, Martin)
> simply saying he can't reply to each individual e-mail as there are
> thousands of committers a the ASF.
>
> - MSDN licensing program is complicated. Quoting: "There are problems
> with administering a service like this across 5000 people in six
> continents when the budget for each individual as to be sourced from
> the local countries. If you consider the value of 5000 * $2500 (just
> in the ASF, we offer this to many open source projects). Then add the
> levels of fraud you might have an indication of how difficult a
> process this is and just how manually intensive it is."
>
> - Most importantly, Ross said he's been communicating the above to
> board@ and members@ lists -- these lists are only accessible to ASF
> members (Uwe, Grant, Hoss, Andrzej, Mike...). If you guys could
> forward the progress on this, once it's published on those private
> lists, it'd be greatly appreciated. In fact, I don't even know what
> Ross said because I can't access those lists as a Lucene PMC member
> only.

There’s also an ongoing discussion whether ASF should facilitate this process in its present
form, because recent changes in wording of this grant suggest that only some ASF committers
may be entitled to new subscriptions or renewals, based on their actual current “need”
(however that’s defined and measured) to use MS products. As such it would indicate that
this is not an organisational but individual grant that is available only to qualifying members
of ASF, with the giver deciding who qualifies.

This concept doesn’t sit well with some members, who would rather that ASF decline this
kind of grant. This may also explain why some of these applications seemingly went into a
black hole - perhaps those applicants don’t immediately qualify according to MS and their
cases need to be reviewed. OTOH it seems that no-one has received yet their renewal, so maybe
it’s just the regular process that is so sluggish.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki