lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 21:08:08 GMT
My thinking was:
We should backport PointFields work (SOLR-8396) right away and release a
6.5 with PointFields (as an additional field type). Perhaps in another
month or two, if remaining work on PointFields is complete (the
multi-valued support etc.), we should release a 6.6 with those changes and
mark the TrieFields as deprecated and switching over to PointFields as
default. Then, 7.0 onwards we could pull in the Legacy*Fields (that
underlie the TrieFields) into the Solr codebase (and remove from Lucene)
and continue to have TrieFields work. 8.0 onwards we can get rid of the
TrieFields and the Legacy*Fields.

Does that sound reasonable and feasible?