lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of FieldCache in Solr
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:21:58 GMT
(splitting this off)

> Your threat to veto the original addition of Uwe's NumericFields to
> Lucene's core stands out in my (long) memory as another.

??? I seriously question that long memory.  Or perhaps just the color
of the glasses you're viewing the world through.

I fee like I helped develop NumericField (although Uwe was the primary
author)! IIRC, I wrote the first draft of the code that enabled
variable precision steps.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1470?focusedCommentId=12671495&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12671495

http://markmail.org/message/vcwwxwciwf7ztrfg

And this is the JIRA issue to actually move it to core... all I
remember is an honest technical opinion about if it should be baked
into the index format (and certainly no vetoes or even opinions
against it being in "core"):

Luckily, I'm in good company... I'm not the only person to be accused
of nefariously obstructing Lucene and only participating in Lucene
issues to slow it down or make it harder to use.
If one looks hard enough for something, they will start seeing it.

-Yonik