lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contacted by IBM about problems with Lucene/Solr on their JVM
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:31:12 GMT
On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
> I was contacted on my Apache email address a few days ago by somebody at
> IBM who wasn't exactly happy that my Solr wiki page recommends not using
> their Java.
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey
>
> He said that he'd like to address any problems.  I replied that he
> should join this list and work with those who really know about the
> problems that we've encountered.  That was three days ago and I haven't
> seen anything here to indicate that my suggestion was followed.
>
> Before I drop his email address here without permission, I'd like to
> know how to proceed.  I'm not the right person on our end to discuss the
> issue.

Without knowing more, it sounds like it was a personal email about
their opinion vs your personal opinion (I assume they didn't say they
were speaking for IBM?)
I don't think there is any reason to share their email address, and
any revising of your personal opinion (or the phrasing of it) is up to
you.

If someone were to ask my opinion on deployment platforms, I'd
recommend the most commonly used/tested in order to minimize risk
(i.e. x86_64 linux w/ 64 bit oracle/openJDK).

-Yonik