lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Chanan <gcha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: reviews.apache.org / GIT migration
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:22:09 GMT
IMO reviewboard with git is strictly better than reviewboard with svn;
getting reviewboard from svn to accept my patches was always a chore --
I've never had that problem with git.

I have mixed feelings about gerrit.  The main advantages are:
1) automatic pre commit checks (i.e. I can have it run the unit tests /
precommit when I put a patch up for review), no extra effort on my part or
taxing of my dev machine.
2) better source repository integration.  I can see which patches have been
committed and which haven't and it's easier to submit and track multiple
changes that depend on each other).  I can also set it up to commit to the
repository the way I want (i.e. always cherry pick).

The downside is the UI is just awful, at least for the version I'm used
to.  As an example, I haven't even figured out a good way of replying to a
review comment without copying the comment (from a different page!),
pasting it and adding my own quotes so it's clear which comment I'm
referring to.

So, if you are looking for a tool to assist in reviews, I would recommend
Review Board.  If you are looking for a tool to help you manage the commit
process, gerrit does that pretty well.

Greg