lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Solr 5.x tests sometimes fail with PermGen error
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2015 07:35:06 GMT
Hi,

> Permgens are like JVM hanging completely -- there's not much the test
> runner can do (because everything is typically and effectively dead on the
> Java side of things).
>
> It needs to be solved in the code; there's very likely multiple classloaders
> being loaded and something prevents them from being released.

SolrResourceLoader... Maybe one of the test creates too many cores in parallel. As said, this
only happened recently, and you can reproduce it. The reason why it mainly happens with MacOSX
is the fact that this one runs on Policeman Jenkins with -Dtests.jvms=2, so each JVM has to
run longer and each one fills permgen with more classes.

So to debug, ideally run the tests with -Dtests.jvms=1, then it permgen-oom's  almost certainly!