lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: [JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-5.x-Linux (64bit/jdk1.8.0_45) - Build # 12644 - Failure!
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 07:07:39 GMT
> Right, but I've had about 10 successful runs even since my last checkin.

This does not mean the code is correct, only that you were lucky :)
And the fact it still failed in spite of your efforts is not something
to be ashamed of -- it's a sign you did a lot and there's *still*
something wrong.

The thing with randomized testing and test harness is that it's
supposed to make your life easier -- to uncover things you wouldn't
think about (or wouldn't have a chance to test, as is the case with
filesystem emulation layers). Resigning from all this infrastructure
and writing tests in plain JUnit runner would be dodging the problem,
not solving it. Sure, it's not easy. And sure, it's a pain in the
arse. But it's also gratifying to know you nailed the problem once you
find it.

Dawid