lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject CompressingTermVectors; per-field decompress?
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 18:51:27 GMT
I was looking at a JIRA issue someone posted pertaining to optimizing
highlighting for when there are term vectors ( SOLR-5855 ).  I dug into the
details a bit and learned something unexpected:
 CompressingTermVectorsReader.get(docId) fully loads all term vectors for
the document.  The client/user consuming code in question might just want
the term vectors for a subset of all fields that have term vectors.  Was
this overlooked or are there benefits to the current approach?  I can’t
think of any except that perhaps there’s better compression over all the
data versus in smaller per-field chunks; although I’d trade that any day
over being able to just get a subset of fields.  I could imagine it being
useful to ask for some fields or all — in much the same way we handle
stored field data.

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley