lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-trunk-Windows (64bit/jdk1.8.0_40-ea-b09) - Build # 4460 - Still Failing!
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:24:21 GMT

: Its easiest to explain i think by pasting the code. for 10% of runs we
: don't wrap the filesystem at all. This is to ensure our "mock

Ah - ok.  the 10% use "real" filesystem is the biggest part i was missing.

So 90% of the time we wrap the filesystem in special checks; and 10% of
the time when you do special checks we emulate windows *unless* we're
already on windows.

: order to prevent that, we would have to do a whole lot more, including
: "mocking linux" on windows. But thats just a non-goal here. These
: mockfilesystems do not make it any better or any worse.

yeah -- i missunderstood the scope of what was being mocked.

: If you are running on windows, then your actual filesystem is already
: acting like windows. We don't need to add any code to accomplish
: "windows behavior" :)

right, i guess a better way to restate my question -- now that i
understand better what is being "mocked" -- is to ask:

Shouldn't there an easy way (ie: sys prop?) for end users, who may
primarily be interested in testing lucene/solr on *their* OS with *their*
filesystem, to tell the test framework to skip all mocking of the
filesystem?

so if someone wants to try out a patch, or do regression testing before
upgrading, and wants to beast all the lucene/solr tests on their
fs/os/hardware stack can force all X runs to use their *real* filesystem
w/o any mocking?

:
: For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
: