lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Cassandra Targett (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-3619) Rename 'example' dir to 'server' and pull examples into an 'examples' directory
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 20:59:17 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3619?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14088235#comment-14088235
] 

Cassandra Targett commented on SOLR-3619:
-----------------------------------------

bq. Has anyone started in managed schema mode and used the rest api to lock down a real schema
and compared that to building the schema in an xml file? 

I did it recently and didn't think it was bad at all. I was trying to index some web access_logs
with logstash into a SolrCloud instance and wanted to avoid ZK tools to edit the files, so
I put it in managed schema mode and used the REST API to make fields & copyFields. The
hardest part was really figuring out the fields that logstash was outputting to the documents,
which took some trial & error. The API calls themselves were easy (for me). 

The biggest plus for me was that I didn't need to bother with ZK tools while in SolrCloud
mode to make some simple edits. How anyone uses those tools is really beyond me - I have a
huge hazy gap in my brain whenever I try to use them and I fail miserably. 

However, the Schema API is still a work-in-progress; I could do the basics of what I needed
for my little project, but I couldn't delete fields, create new fieldTypes or change the analysis
for any fieldType. If I had started with schemaless and then wanted to lock down my fields
later, I don't know that I would have had the tools with the REST API, and I'm not sure how
I would edit it manually if we're not supposed to edit the schema by hand when it's in managed
mode. And then I'd have to contend with ZK.

bq. Is it easy to bootstrap the managed schema stuff with a hand built schema.xml?
I didn't do it as part of the project I just described, but I have done it before - made edits
to schema.xml and then switched to using Managed Schema. It was as expected - a new file named
'managed-schema' was created that had my changes already in it and then I could use the REST
API.

> Rename 'example' dir to 'server' and pull examples into an 'examples' directory
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-3619
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3619
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>            Reporter: Mark Miller
>            Assignee: Timothy Potter
>             Fix For: 4.9, 5.0
>
>         Attachments: SOLR-3619.patch, SOLR-3619.patch, managed-schema, server-name-layout.png,
solrconfig.xml
>
>




--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message