lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Am I just completely missing the boat or is suggester weightField totally undocumented?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:13:14 GMT
Upgrading from Solr 3.5 to 4.8 for a client and mucking around in
solrconfig.xml. I thought Hey, let's uncomment the suggester just for yucks
so they can try it out".

Fine so far, but then I looked to try to figure out what part of their
schema to use for the entry in the suggest component:
<str name="weightField">price</str>

and.... there isn't anything in any documentation that I can find. If I
take it out I get an error at startup since it's a required field. For
instance, it's not in the ref guide. Google doesn't help. Looking at the
code also doesn't explain much, and isn't very friendly anyway. I _suspect_
that it's ok to have a bogus entry here since the code seems to return 0 if
there's no field (on a very quick glance) in which case it seems like it's
_not_ really required.

So.. what happens if the field is absent? What kinds of values _should_ be
in it? What do they do? and all that rot....

If we're going to require it, we should provide some guidance somewhere.
Worth a JIRA?

Erick