lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anticipating a benchmark for direct posting format
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 11:45:10 GMT
If you look at people.apache.org:~bimargulies/dpf-bench.log
(http://people.apache.org/bimargulies/dpf-bench.log should also work),
you'll see the results of a luceneutil run that compares DPF to
'normal' on the 10M wikipedia case. Some things are better, some are
worse, some are the same.

The claim here was never that DPF was some sort of universal solvent;
it was that for certain applications it made a material speedup, and
so it was worth some API complexity to liberate it from the codecs.
I'm going to assert here that these results support the claim well
enough to justify taking a run at the API, and then we'll see if I can
come up with something that people find tolerable in proportion to the
benefit.