lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject Release Lucene 5?
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:27:28 GMT
Hi all,

Java 8 will get released (hopefully, but I trust the release plan!) on March 18, 2014. Because
of this, lots of developers will move to Java 8, too. This makes maintaining 3 versions for
developing Lucene 4.x not easy anymore (unless you have cool JAVA_HOME "cmd" launcher scriptsusing
StEXBar available for your Windows Explorer - or similar stuff in Linux).

I think we should release Lucene 5 with Java 7 as minimum requirement quite soon - I could
act as release manager. Unfortunately we have not many new features (as most stuff was backported,
breaking backwards compatibility), but we should really work on releasing it. In my opinion,
Java 7 minimum requirement is a good reason for a major version bump. I don't think we should
add another 4.x release series! I would prefer to move branch_4x to the attic and disable
its Jenkins builds. This would also allow to remove support for crazy JRockit, because there
is no longer JRockit for Java 7.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler