lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Search and Disk I/O
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:35:27 GMT
On 12/19/2013 4:55 PM, wactioner wrote:
> I had a similar question posted  here a few years earlier
> <http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Understanding-lucene-indexes-and-disk-I-O-td714698.html>

> .
>
> How does a lucene search handle disk I/O and reading from index files? I'm
> not sure how much the previous answer stands true. I notice that some of the
> index files referenced in the last answer (.tii files) don't exist anymore,
> unless .tii files were renamed to .tip.
>
> If anyone is familiar with the matter on this board, could you comment on
> how ElasticSearch shards these files? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> Thank you!

This is probably a question that's better for the java-user mailing list
than this dev list.  I'm not on java-user, because my association with
the project is through Solr.  My understanding of Lucene internals is
only just barely below the surface.  For that reason, I'll go ahead and
reply here with what little information I can provide.

I can tell you that the thread you've referenced is talking about Lucene
3.0, and if you have .tip files, you're running at least 4.0.  The term
index is indeed in the .tip file, but in older versions, it was in the
.tii file.  I'm pretty sure that the "flex" code that's mentioned in the
thread refers to what became the default codec in 4.0.

Lucene 3.0 information:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/3_0_3/fileformats.html#file-names

Lucene 4.6 information, very similar to 4.0:
https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_6_0/core/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene46/package-summary.html#file-names

Thanks,
Shawn