lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr.xml parameters
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:32:54 GMT

On Jul 23, 2013, at 4:07 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to finalize some of the documentation for the release of
> the docs that'll
> happen Real Soon Now so I need to nail these down.
>
> How close are these definitions for the following parameters?
>

> leaderVoteWait - when SolrCloud is starting up, how long we'll wait
> before assuming that
> no leader will identify itself.

No, this is how long the system will wait on startup to see all the known replicas for a shard
show up. This is to be sure they all participate in the election and the best candidate is
chosen. This is protection against bringing back a stale shard on a cluster restart and having
it become leader right off.

> genericCoreNodeNames - I have no idea.

This makes it so that node names are not based on the address of the node, but on a generic
core_nodename_n (or something like that). When a different machine takes over serving that
core, things will be much less confusing.

> managementPath - no clue

I think this might be dead - i see a bit of code around picking it up, but nothing that does
anything with it.

> roles - why do I care to set this parameter?

Future param for SolrCloud or a way for users to mark nodes for their own use.

> coreNodeName - how is this different than name? Is it something anyone
> should mess with
> and why?

For SolrCloud - let's you specifically label a name rather than have them generated for you
(either by address or the generic names from the genericCoreNodeNames setting. This let's
you allow a different machine to take over for a core that already has a node name and was
served from a different machine.

> logging watcher threshold - No clue what this does.

Seems to be the default log level the UI will use if you don't want it to be WARN.

- Mark