lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yanning Li <yanni...@nvidia.com>
Subject Anyone interested about using GPU to improve the performance of Lucene?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 21:02:20 GMT
Hi all,

I work for NVIDIA Tesla Accelerating Computing Group. Recently we are noticed that GPU can
really accelerate the performance of search engines. There are proof points not only from
Google, but also from others, such as Yandex, Baidu, Bing, etc.  But not much around Solr/Lucene.

So we are trying to engage with Lucene developers more actively.

1)      If possible we could like to hear from your perspective, are there some opportunities
for GPU in Lucene/Solr?

2)      Wondering is anyone interested  to use GPU to accelerate the performance of Lucene/Solr?
If so please feel free to let me know, we can send out free GPUs to get  project started.

Attached a paper talking about using GPU to accelerate index compression in case you have
interests.

Looking forward to hear from some of you,

Best

Yanning