lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.1 RC1
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:39:37 GMT
On 6/10/2013 8:12 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
> I haven't run the smoke tester yet and I am super happy that you did
> all the work shalin so don't get me wrong here.... I wonder if we
> should skip 4.3.1 and build a 4.4 RC instead. I mean looking at the
> features that are for 4.4. in the changes.txt its massive! I know how
> much work a release is and before the hard part starts we should maybe
> think about a 4.4 instead? Sorry that I come up with this now but I
> totally forgot about 4.3.1 since we talked about it weeks ago :)

Based on my limited knowledge of where things are, and the fact that the
smoketester passes for Shalin, I'm +1 on this being the right candidate
for a 4.3.1 release.

Simon does raise a point that needs considering.  There are some
important bugfixes in 4.3.1, especially for Solr, but if branch_4x could
be ready for release in a week or so, we should probably go that route.

Having said that, I'm not sure that the Solr side of branch_4x could be
ready soon enough, in particular because the Solr example now uses core
discovery and the new solr.xml format.

If (and only if) I'm wrong about the current state of Solr 4.4, then
perhaps it might be better to put the energy into releasing that
instead.  I'd like to know the opinions of other people who focus on Solr.

Thanks,
Shawn