lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Yonik Seeley (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-4586) Increase default maxBooleanClauses
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 20:43:17 GMT


Yonik Seeley commented on SOLR-4586:

bq. Its even more bogus to just silently ignore a configuration parameter 

That's part of the problem - most people will not have explicitly configured it (except those
trying to avoid exceptions), but just got it by virtue of copying the example solrconfig.xml
as a starting point.

bq. > (+author:tolkien -title:hobbit) isbn:( ... 200000 different ISBNs ...)
bq. This is a fantastic example of why the limit can still be useful. it forces you to think
about what is going on here..

Unfortunately, it doesn't force anyone to think about those issues early on.  Maybe setting
a very low limit like 10 or 20 terms would... but 1024 definitely does not.
What happens is that you can have a working, tested application that constructs queries like
this, and it only breaks at some undetermined future point in time when the magic limit is
exceeded (caused by index growth or whatever).  There is no warning to the user that the query
structure that they are using will break hard after going over this magic limit (that no longer
serves a purpose).  It's simply a trap, and we should remove it.

> Increase default maxBooleanClauses
> ----------------------------------
>                 Key: SOLR-4586
>                 URL:
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>    Affects Versions: 4.2
>         Environment: 4.3-SNAPSHOT 1456767M - ncindex - 2013-03-15 13:11:50
>            Reporter: Shawn Heisey
>         Attachments: SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch,
SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586_verify_maxClauses.patch
> In the #solr IRC channel, I mentioned the maxBooleanClauses limitation to someone asking
a question about queries.  Mark Miller told me that maxBooleanClauses no longer applies, that
the limitation was removed from Lucene sometime in the 3.x series.  The config still shows
up in the example even in the just-released 4.2.
> Checking through the source code, I found that the config option is parsed and the value
stored in objects, but does not actually seem to be used by anything.  I removed every trace
of it that I could find, and all tests still pass.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message