lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jack Krupansky (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-4586) Increase default maxBooleanClauses
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:05:16 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4586?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13623691#comment-13623691
] 

Jack Krupansky commented on SOLR-4586:
--------------------------------------

My revised proposal:

1. Unless the Lucene guys cave, leave it in Lucene. Same Lucene default.
2. Leave it in Solr as well, on the theory that if Lucene has a setting, Solr should provide
access to it.
3. Raise the Solr default to 100K - both in the code and example solrconfig. 1 million is
too scary.
4. Change the Solr semantics so that the Lucene limit is raised whenever a collection is loaded
that has a higher limit.
5. Change in both trunk and 4x since it won't impact existing apps.

Today, if you want to change the limit, you must shutdown and reload the Solr server since
only the initial core load will set it.

My proposal is trying to satisfy two goals:

1. A higher default limit.
2. Can change the value, at least to raise it, without a full Solr server shutdown and restart.
3. Somewhat simpler semantics - you don't need to read the fine print to use it, and rarely
would you need to use it.

                
> Increase default maxBooleanClauses
> ----------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-4586
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4586
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>    Affects Versions: 4.2
>         Environment: 4.3-SNAPSHOT 1456767M - ncindex - 2013-03-15 13:11:50
>            Reporter: Shawn Heisey
>         Attachments: SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch
>
>
> In the #solr IRC channel, I mentioned the maxBooleanClauses limitation to someone asking
a question about queries.  Mark Miller told me that maxBooleanClauses no longer applies, that
the limitation was removed from Lucene sometime in the 3.x series.  The config still shows
up in the example even in the just-released 4.2.
> Checking through the source code, I found that the config option is parsed and the value
stored in objects, but does not actually seem to be used by anything.  I removed every trace
of it that I could find, and all tests still pass.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message