lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <>
Subject Re: StoredField
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:26:00 GMT

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM, eksdev <> wrote:
> sure, there is a way to make anything -> byte[] ;)
> it looks like this byte[]->type conversion is done deep-down and this
> visitor user-api gets already correct types  …
> Maybe an idea would be to delay byte[] -> type conversion to field access
> time, i do not know what mines would be on the road to do it.
> use cases that require identity checks, or not locale specific sorting and
> co would benefit from having row, serialised representations without type
> conversion…. anyhow, I could switch overt to byte[] fields completely to do
> ii…

I understand that it is frustrating to perform a String -> byte[]
conversion if Lucene just did the opposite. But because it needs to
perform one random seek per document (on a file which is often large),
the stored fields API is much slower than a String -> UTF-8 bytes
conversion, so I think we should keep the API robust rather than
allowing for these kinds of optimizations?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message