lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Log level cleanup
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 00:52:32 GMT
Definitely a separate query log. solrconfig.xml could have a tag <queryLog format="plain">${solr.query.log}</queryLog>
For me the one-line request-log format with Solr extensions works well enough. But perhaps
have a way to specify what IP address to log in the file. It's not that useful to log the
web frontend's address, so an option to pick up the X-Forwarded-For header or similar would
be nice.

By default the query logs could end up in ${solr.data.dir} with name <core>-querylog-YYMMDD.log
and auto rotate daily. For back compat there should be a way to continue logging queries through
slf4j as today, but that should be off by default.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

20. mars 2013 kl. 01:03 skrev Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com>:

> > And we need to move the query logging to it's own structured log :)
>
> What are your thoughts here?  This is something I have toyed with at the application
level -- actually indexing each query+result count.  Do you think this is appropriate infrastructure
in solr?

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we do too much logging on doc adds by default, but that a lot of the other stuff
is much less frequent and much the information more useful than not when people run into trouble
and can't just reproduce after turning on debug logging.

> I'm for removing stuff that's too chatty, but it sounds like you probably have a more
minimalist stance than I do. I prefer somewhat verbose logs for the user mailing list when
the events are not common. There is a risk of that being too much for sure, but I see a risk
in it being too little as well.

> And we need to move the query logging to it's own structured log :)
>
> - Mark
>
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:43 PM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think Solr is too verbose on default INFO logging.
> > Time to do a major cleanup and move a bunch of INFO --> DEBUG and probably ERROR-->WARN,
WARN-->INFO too...