lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: JIRA cleanup inactive issues?
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:07:23 GMT
Hey

Great spring cleaning work going on here :) I think it's the right approach.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

16. mars 2013 kl. 20:28 skrev Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>:

> Jan:
>
> I've hit on a new policy when I closed a bunch of things today. For those JIRAs that
we decide NOT to close, I'm adding a comment explaining why I didn't close it and/or inviting
comment. That has the effect of removing the JIRA from the query you provided and poking anyone
still interested in it.

> FWIW,
> Erick
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> I did a really small bulk-change for the 10 oldest LUCENE/SOLR issues without activity,
and tagged them SPRING_CLEANING_2013

> That should spin off some activity, probably some will be closed due to various reasons,
and perhaps some will be revived?

> If this proves effective, I'll do a new bulk in a week or so for the 25 issues never
touched since 2008. I think that portioning THIS out in time in smaller chunks will gain more
attention than a big bang thing.

> I'll probably also do some more manual inspection on some of the oldest which are obviously
not relevant any more.

> --
> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>
> 15. feb. 2013 kl. 01:24 skrev Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com>:
>
> >> but arbitrarily deciding an issue should be closed just becuase it's old
> >> doesn't really make sense to me to me.
> >
> > That was never the suggestion either. More to get rid of all the noise which is
no longer relevant, neither to the issue creator or anyone else, then it's easier to browse
through open issues knowing that someone actually care about those issues being fixed.

> > It's great that Erick and others will contribute, but we save a lot of work distributing
it to "stakeholders" first, then those interested can manually go through the remaining based
on the tag.

> > The real number of irrelevant Open issues is probably larger, since some issues
are "Updated" last year, but those updates are also Bulk fix-version change or similar, not
real activity. But that's for another day...

> > The bulk update process is fairly simple. I'll volunteer. I propose to simply add
a "Comment" to those 739 issues (Unfortunately there seems to be no way to bulk ADD a "Label",
it would delete all existing ones, so that's why it's in the comment text):

> > This issue has been inactive for more than a year. Please close if it's no longer
relevant/needed, or bring it up to date if you intend to work on it. INACTIVITY_REMINDER_20130215