lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Lucene features and Solr indexes
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:01:16 GMT
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Shawn Heisey <solr@elyograg.org> wrote:
>> Some of these, like compressed stored fields and compressed termvectors, are
>> being turned on by default, which is awesome.  I'm already running a 4.2
>> snapshot, so I've got those in place.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> One thing that I know I would like to do is use the new BloomFilter for a
>> couple of my fields that contain only unique values.  Last time I checked
>> (which was before the 4.1 release), if you added the lucene-codecs jar, Solr
>> had a BloomFilter postings format, but didn't have any way to specify the
>> underlying format.  See SOLR-3950 and LUCENE-4394.
>
> BloomFilterPostingsFormat is a little special compared to other
> postings formats because it can wrap any postings format. So maybe it
> should require special support, like an additional attribute in the
> field type definition?

-1

Instead of making other APIs to accomodate BloomFilter's current
brokenness: remove its custom per-field logic so it works with
PerFieldPostingsFormat, like every other PF.

In other words, it should work just like pulsing.

I brought this up before it was committed, and i was ignored. Thats
fine, but I'll be damned if i let its incorrect design complicate
other parts of the codebase too. I'd rather it continue to stay
difficult to integrate and continue walking its current path to an
open source death instead.