lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: JIRA cleanup inactive issues?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:00:41 GMT
Why should an issue be closed just because it's been open for N years?

It can easily be a real issue, just low priority.  Eg likely many GSoC
tagged issues fall into this category.

I don't think we should do any bulk actions here: I think people who
care about the number of open issues should actually look, issue by
issue, and make a call.

Why do we care about the number of open issues?  Who is using this metric?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:13 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> JIRA currently has 739 Open, Unresolved issues, with no activity for >1year, which
makes it difficult to get an overview over REAL issues.
> The oldest of these, SOLR-36, have not been touched since July 2006 and is probably not
valid anymore.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(SOLR%2C%20LUCENE)%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20updated%20%3C%3D%20-365d%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20ASC
>
> How about bulk updating all issues that have been inactive for >1year, encouraging
creator to either close it or bring it up to date? If the comment includes a unique tag, we
can later select those same issues which have still not seen activity within the next month
or so, and bulk-close them. They will still be possible to revive if someone wants to.

> The idea is that people who have been involved with the issue in the past would get a
notification email. Problem is that will generate 739 "spam" mails on this mailing list, but
it's perhaps worth it? We could turn off notifications, but then we'd not get the "ping" effect
to those not following the list closely.