lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stress test deadlocks
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 02:23:51 GMT

On Feb 1, 2013, at 9:02 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, about the thread interrupt exceptions; what do you think about not logging them?
I could argue that if they are benign, reporting them adds unnecessary stress. I kinda figured
they were harmless but thought it might be worth mentioning.

I guess I'd open a JIRA issue to discuss it - we would probably want to consistently tackle
the code base. Currently, I think we usually log something on interruptions.

> Second, I re-worked the stress test program to use the old-style solr.xml file then re-ran
the tests from trunk w/o any of the changes for SOLR-4196. I worked for a couple of hours
then I had to stop, but tonight it ran for just a few minutes (I updated the code this morning)
and got the same error (stack below just in case I'm imagining things). Next step I guess
is I'll apply the changes you indicated above to trunk and see if it I can make it happen
again. That said, it's a bit of apples-to-oranges but worth doing nonetheless... It's still
clearly happening from some relatively new code related to the transient core thing given
the trace is coming form removeEldestEntry eventually….

Since you have the tests and can easily check this, I would appreciate it. We would like to
fix this.

The below is the same issue. I'm pretty sure the patch addresses it (though don't commit it,
it's still hackey), but confirmation would be great.

- Mark

> [...]
> 	at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:385)
> 	at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.registerCore(CoreContainer.java:864)
> 	- locked <785614df8> (a org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$2)
> 	at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.registerLazyCore(CoreContainer.java:829)
> 	at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.getCore(CoreContainer.java:1321)
> 	at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:190)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1307)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:453)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:137)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:560)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:231)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1072)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:382)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:193)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1006)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:135)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:255)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:154)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:116)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:365)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:485)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handleRequest(BlockingHttpConnection.java:53)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:926)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:988)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:635)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:235)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:72)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector.java:264)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:608)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:543)
>
> Found 1 deadlock.
>

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Without evidence of further damage, that is fine - it just means a thread was interrupted.
>
> - Mark
>
> On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, by the way, I'm getting some exceptions in the solr log, here are the two
patterns I see on a quick look (this is with my hacks, but the test of your patch also produced
some like this, I think they were the same). Your comment about trying this with the old-style
XML is getting more compelling....

> > But do note that the stress tests still ran to completion OK, which means that all
documents sent to the server made it into the indexes....

> > Jan 30, 2013 10:20:27 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
> > SEVERE: java.lang.InterruptedException
> >       at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1279)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:218)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)
> >       at org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.commit(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:597)
> >       at org.apache.solr.update.CommitTracker.run(CommitTracker.java:216)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:439)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:98)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:206)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
> >       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
> >       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
> >

> > FWIW
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > No joy. It ran to completion on one of my machines for an hour, but not the other,
stack traces below.

> > About running without the patch. The other thing that's different is I've changed
where the core.close happens in the patch as opposed to the old code, which may confuse things.
OTOH, it'd be interesting to try since my changes to where I called close were based on a
faulty assumption about where the lock was occurring. I did a quick hack that I have yet to
test making the stress tester bang up old-style solr.xml setups, but haven't run it yet. I
can give it a try against an unmodified trunk if you think that would generate useful information
but I sadly fear it's an apples/oranges comparison.

> > I'm on IM or we can voice chat if you want to strategize, but I won't be able to
devote much time to this until tonight or tomorrow. I can apply patches and run tests all
day though....

> > Although before digging to deeply, I had to cobble the patch into DefaultSolrCoreState
and I might have screwed it up. Is the finally block  containing if (yielded) in the right
place?

> > Here's my patched code, but maybe you could just send me the whole file? I haven't
changed it outside this patch....

> [...]
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(AbstractHttpConnection.java:998)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:948)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:240)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:72)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector.java:264)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:608)
> >       at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:543)
> >       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
> >
> > Found 1 deadlock.
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > bq: I don't follow this at all - of course you could rapidly load and unload cores
at the same time before this patch?

> > Not quite what I was trying to say. The stress test opens and closes cores a LOT.
Of course you could open and close cores simultaneously before. In fact given what I think
is a new pattern I'm amazed that there aren't a lot more problems, that's some damn good code.
What's new is the stress test opens and closes a core with every call. From 30 threads, 15
indexing and 15 querying.

> > bq: If you cannot easily produce a test that causes deadlock without your patch
> >
> > I don't know how you'd really write a predictable junit test, the time window for
the race here is small. I had to run my stress test for 20-30 minutes to hit it. I think I
can modify the stress test to use old-style solr.xml which I could run against current trunk,
is it worth it though after your second look? Note that this open/closing a core every call
from the stress test wasn't really possible the same way before SOLR-1028, one of the keys
is that the transient cores have to be aged out. The bolds below are new code (SOLR-1028+):

> > at org.apache.solr.core.CoreMaps$1.removeEldestEntry(CoreContainer.java:1384)
> > at org.apache.solr.core.CoreMaps.putTransientCore(CoreContainer.java:1444)
> >

> > If you still think it's worthwhile, I have some travel time tomorrow that I could
use to make this test run with old-style solr.xml. Let me know. I'm also wondering if the
stress test should go into our test suite somewhere. It's possible to bring the stress test
into junit I think, there's nothing magic about it. But it might be better as an external
test that we run on, say, a nightly or weekly basis, is there precedent?

> > bq: Because they are different locks protecting different state.
> >
> > So you're saying that synchronizing the method actually is protecting the SolrCore
that's passed as a parameter? Otherwise I don't get it, seems like moving the synchronized
block to the first line of, e.g.,  newIndexWriter and removing synchronized from the method
signature would be sufficient. That said, my hack of removing the synchronized from the method
signature was more to poke that what I thought I saw than a well thought-out solution... Which
is why I'm glad you're looking too...

> > Yes, the code attached to the JIRA is the latest. You've got enough on your plate
I'm sure, I'll apply your patch and let you know. I had a little trouble with SVN applying
it cleanly, but  I think I reconciled it correctly...