lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: New Lucene features and Solr indexes
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:58:36 GMT
>> BloomFilterPostingsFormat is a little special compared to other
>> postings formats because it can wrap any postings format. So maybe it
>> should require special support, like an additional attribute in the
>> field type definition?
>
> -1
>
> Instead of making other APIs to accomodate BloomFilter's current
> brokenness: remove its custom per-field logic so it works with
> PerFieldPostingsFormat, like every other PF.
>
> In other words, it should work just like pulsing.
>
> I brought this up before it was committed, and i was ignored. Thats
> fine, but I'll be damned if i let its incorrect design complicate
> other parts of the codebase too. I'd rather it continue to stay
> difficult to integrate and continue walking its current path to an
> open source death instead.

Robert,

I have to send you a general thank you for your dedication to the
quality of this project, and for your amazing ability to seemingly keep
the entire design for Lucene in your head at all times.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to die here, or what you think would
be the best option for me, the Solr end-user.  Is BloomFilter something
that's not worth pursuing, or would you just like it to be integrated in
a different way?

Thanks,
Shawn