lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject New Lucene features and Solr indexes
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:58:39 GMT
I'm interested in knowing which of the extremely new Lucene features I
can use in Solr and what criteria I should use when deciding where to
use them.

Some of these, like compressed stored fields and compressed termvectors,
are being turned on by default, which is awesome.  I'm already running a
4.2 snapshot, so I've got those in place.

One thing that I know I would like to do is use the new BloomFilter for
a couple of my fields that contain only unique values.  Last time I
checked (which was before the 4.1 release), if you added the
lucene-codecs jar, Solr had a BloomFilter postings format, but didn't
have any way to specify the underlying format.  See SOLR-3950 and
LUCENE-4394.

Another new feature that is coming soon to Solr is DocValues -
SOLR-3855.  Looking at the issue, I was not able to tell what situations
would be appropriate for using the feature.  The patch includes notes in
the example schema about using it on the popularity and manu_exact
fields, but nothing about why those fields are good choices.  If you use
docvalues, do you still have to store the field if you want it in
results?  I think I remember reading something about it being able to
replace stored fields.

These are the features I can think of at the moment.  There may be
others, so feel free to fill in the blanks.

Thanks,
Shawn