lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CC0 license compatibility
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 12:35:00 GMT
On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Alan Woodward
<alan.woodward@romseysoftware.co.uk> wrote:
> As part of a fix for SOLR-1972 I'm porting various bits of https://github.com/codahale/metrics
into Solr.  One of the classes, ThreadLocalRandom, is released under a CC0 license, with the
following header:

> /*
>  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
>  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
>  * http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
>  *
>  * http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/main/java/util/concurrent/ThreadLocalRandom.java?view=markup
>  */
>
> This fails ant precommit, as it doesn't have the expected Apache License header.  Are
we legally allowed to add the AL header above this existing license?  Google leads me to believe
that the licenses are compatible, but adding a new one feels wrong to me.

If you look at the ant task in question, you will see it has a list of
supported licenses/regexps.