lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Dyer, James" <James.D...@ingramcontent.com>
Subject RE: 4.1 release notes: please review
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:47:23 GMT
Ok I have it in the wiki in its own section but I condensed it.  Feel free to edit further
as you desire.

James Dyer
E-Commerce Systems
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Rowe [mailto:sarowe@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:59 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: 4.1 release notes: please review

My take on release notes is that they mainly talk about new features/big changes, and if other
things are mentioned, they are only mentioned briefly.

But if you think it's worth its own section, go for it.

Steve

On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:47 AM, "Dyer, James" <James.Dyer@ingramcontent.com> wrote:

> Do you think it is appropriate that we put all of this in a section in the release notes,
or something more succinct?

> James Dyer
> E-Commerce Systems
> Ingram Content Group
> (615) 213-4311

"see the wiki for more information."  All of this is documented there, more or less.  None
of this will affect very many people.

>> ----------
>> The DataImportHandler contrib module has some minor backwards-compatibility breaks
in this release.

>> 1. Both NumberFormatTransformer & DateFormatTransformer default to the "root"
locale if none is specified.  Prior versions used the JVM default locale.  It is strongly
advised that users always specify the locale when using this transformer. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4095

>> 2. Both FileDataSoruce and FieldReaderDataSource default to UTF-8 encoding if none
is specified.  Prior versions used the JVM default.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4096
.  Also, the behavior of DataSource and encoding may change again in a subsequent release.
 See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2347 .

>> 3. The "formatDate" evaluator now defaults to using the "root" locale.  Prior versions
used the JVM default.  Both the locale & timezone now can be specified using new optional
parameters.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4086 & https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2201
.

>> 4. The "dataimport.properties" file, which holds the last indexed timestamp for use
with delta imports, is now by default using the "root" locale.  This default can be overridden
using the new <propertyWriter /> tag in data-config.xml.  Prior versions used the default
JVM locale.  This is only of concern if your default locale uses different DataFormatSymbols
than the "root" locale and if your installation depends on these alternate symbols (for instance
if your RDMBS takes dates using your locale-specific date symbols). See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4051

>> 5. The experimental DIHProperties interface has changed, and is now an abstract class.
 This will require code changes for anyone who has a custom DIHProperties.  Also note that
future API changes with this class are possible in subsequent releases.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4051

>> 6. The Evaluator framework has received extensive refactoring.  Some custom evaluators
may require code changes.  Specifically, public or protected methods from the EvaluatorBag
class have been moved to the Evaluator abstract class that all Evalutators must extend.  See