lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Lukáš Vlček <lukas.vl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr faceting vs. Lucene faceting
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 23:12:36 GMT
Hi Shai,

thanks for your blog, I am looking forward to your future posts!

Just two questions: you mentioned that you have been running this in
production in distributed mode. If I understand it correctly the idea is
there is only a single taxonomy index even if the distributed mode means
that the data indices were partitioned/sharded. (Thus the ordinals are
global). The taxonomy index is not partitioned/sharded itself. Am I correct?

Also what seems to be an interesting implication of this implementation is
the fact that taxonomy index never cares about deleted documents
(categories that are obsolete). In practices this is probably not a bit
deal because the taxonomy index is small but I can imagine this might be
problematic in some situations (for example imagine that the categories
would be based on highly granular timestamp, that could create a lot of
categories over short period of time and those would be kept "forever" and
still growing...).
(^^ I am just trying to understand how it works.)

Regards,
Lukas