lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Is there documentation anywhere describing interoperability of SolrJ?
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:16:03 GMT
On 12/28/12 3:54 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Not so perverse, really.  Quite by design that Solr depends on SolrJ.
> SolrJ _is_ Solr.  EmbeddedSolrServer for example.  The distributed
> and replication aspects also rely explicitly on SolrJ for
> communication and more.
>
> I understand Karl's situation here, though I think the only thing I
> can say is use the SolrJ appropriate for your Solr version, which
> means Manifold's hook may require a separate output connector, one
> for each version of Solr.  I think, for example, that ManifoldCF
> would benefit on indexing performance and leveraging ZK discovery in
> a SolrCloud environment using the CloudSolrServer API.
>
> I would imagine, though, that simply using SolrJ in XML-only mode
> would work for all the essentials for all of those Solr versions you
> mentioned using the Solr 4 version of SolrJ (I've not tried this
> myself though).

It's quite difficult to manage different versions (possibly conflicting)
of the same API in a single JVM. It can be done, but at a cost of great
complexity and other tradeoffs.

I think it would be very useful if it was possible to configure SolrJ to
use a safe back-compat version of the protocol that is guaranteed to
work properly with a range of older Solr versions, even if it meant some
loss of functionality or performance.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki