lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Molloy <smol...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: Active 4.x branches?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 01:52:22 GMT
I'm not a contributor (maybe one day), but I'm glad there is process designed to be slower.
I don't think any serious company would work with a project where over a 1000 lines of code
are changed in half a day. How can you expect stability out of that?

Steve Molloy
Content Analytics Lead  |  R&D
Phone:
(514) 908-5406 406
Website:
www.opentext.com

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Attributed to Albert Einstein

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Miller [mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:30 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Active 4.x branches?

An apples to oranges comparison doesn't tell you much. One coder has no community to deal
with, is not spread across multiple time zones, knows all of the code intimately, etc. There
are some advantageous. And even more disadvantageous over time.

Many of our process are designed to be slower.

Apache has a motto - "community over code".

Pure velocity is not necessarily the goal of an Open Source project.

Personally, I think we do things one of the many right ways :)

- Mark

On Nov 28, 2012, at 8:08 PM, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it's a lot to keep up with. But if you look at other projects on
> Ohloh and the number of contributors they have, it looks like we have
> about what you would expect given the somewhat smaller area we play
> in.
>
> compare it with me: 1 coder, 8 months http://forum.lupa.cz/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1674.0;attach=3439
> I alone can match output of your 40 developers.
>
> My today work: 1135 changed lines in 4.5 hours. (not including about 1 hour for fixing/testing
solr patch)

> You guys must do lot of things wrong way. Throw your old rules out of window and start
learning new ways you never imagine before.