lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DSMI...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: dismax vs edismax
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:24:24 GMT
I absolutely agree with your first point.  For second point, I agree for defType (so that it
affects 'q') but not all the other numerous spots.  As far as pushing down into Lucene; if
you haven't noticed, Solr now has its own copy of the Lucene's query parser so it can customize
it.  This is a good thing that was inevitable IMO.
~ David
________________________________
From: Jack Krupansky-2 [via Lucene] [ml-node+s472066n4022841h61@n3.nabble.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:07 AM
To: Smiley, David W.
Subject: Re: dismax vs edismax

My view is that if we simply added an option to edismax to restrict the
syntax to the very limited syntax of dismax, then we could have one, common
xdismax query parser.

And then, why not simply rename the current Solr query parser to "classic"
and make the new xdismax be the default Solr query parser.

And then... push a lot of the so-called "Solr-specific" features down into
the Lucene query parser (abstracting away the specifics of Solr schema, Solr
plugin, Solr parameter format, etc.) and then we can have one, unified query
parser for Lucene and Solr. But... not everyone is persuaded!

-- Jack Krupansky